Friday, June 5, 2009

Author's Tea

Today at Aspen's school was the 2nd grade Author's Tea. Aspen has been writing and illustrating her very own book for the last couple of weeks. Parents were invited to come and listen to their child read the book that they made. Each parent was supposed to bring their favorite childhood book to read to their child. We picked up Aspen at her class, got a few cookies and juice then headed outside to sit on a blanket and have Aspen read her book for us.
This is the cover of Aspen's book. She titled it "My Cute Brother". It was all about Brighton. Most of the pictures were from our old house in Phoenix. I can't believe how much she remembered. She knew things like the wreath that used to hang behind the couch down to the chandelier hanging in the dinning room.

Jay reading his favorite childhood book "The Foot Book", don't you think that is ironic?
We were done around 2:15 and then were able to take Aspen home with us. I think that was her favorite part of the day!
I am so grateful that I am able to stay at home with my kids. It gives me the opportunity to be able to go to things like this. I felt so bad for the children whose parents were not there. There were only a few and I think I got tears in my eyes when I saw the principal take a child out on the lawn to listen to his book.

4 comments:

Jesmyluk said...

I bet her book was amazing! And yes I think its funny that jay's favorite book as a kid was the Foot Book. LOL

Mark and Jessica said...

What a neat experience! I can't believe some of the memories on these young kids. Too bad more parents didn't participate.

I & A said...

What a stinkin cute family you have sis! Her book looks adorable! i can't wait to see it. Thats so cool your whole family got to be there for it. I bet that meant alot to Aspen. It really is awesome you can be a stay at home mom, you'd miss so many cool things if you weren't. I love you and your family. Your kids hold a very special place with me! Love ya

Dot said...

How neat. That teacher has done alot to instill in her kids the love of reading,writing and illustrating. She's had a big influence for good in their lives. Aspen is a good little writer and illustrator, and I'll bet it's because of all the reading you do with your kids.
I think one of the best things you can give your kids is the love of reading, and showing how important they are in the family.
Wonderful, story. Love you all.